Boxer Manoj Kumar was awarded prestigious Arjuna Award by Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in New Delhi. He was awarded this award after winning a High Court case against Sports ministry. Manoj Kumar is 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medalist.
Earlier, Kapil Dev-led award selection committee had denied Manoj this award, due false belief that he was involved in a doping case. Instead of Manoj, the committee had recommended name of another boxer Jai Bhagwan for this award.
After this denial, Manoj had approached the Sports Ministry who had assured him that his name would be added to the list in a review meeting. But he was again sidelined by the Sports Ministry.
After he was sidelined, he took the legal route and filed a case in the Delhi High Court against the ministry. He won this case and that led to the ministry accepting his nomination for the award.
About Arjuna Award
- The Arjuna Awards are given by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to sportsperson for their recognition and outstanding achievement in National sports. It was instituted in 1961.
- The award carries a monetary prize of Rs. 500,000, a bronze statuette of Arjuna and a scroll.
- From the year 2001, the award is given only in disciplines falling under the following categories:
National Milk Day was observed in Gujarat to mark 93rd birth anniversary of Dr.Verghese Kurien. It was the first of its kind initiative organized by all dairy majors to celebrate November 26 as National Milk Day in the memory Dr Verghese Kurien.
The idea of celebrating Indian Milk Day was first mooted by Indian Dairy Association (IDA).
Events organized on National Milk Day
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), IDA along with around 22 state level milk federation’s including Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) that markets brand Amul took part in this initiative.
- 200 lakh milk pouches of Amul will carry the National Milk Day’s logo featuring Dr Kurien for a week across the country.
- District level milk unions who are part of Milk federation had organized district level celebrations which were attended by around 10,000 milk producers.
- Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel addressed mega gathering of farmers in a programme organized by Banas Dairy in Palanpur district.
- In Anand district, all institutes founded by Mr Kurien i.e. Amul, Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA), Anandalaya and NDDB participated to celebrate this day.
About Dr.Verghese Kurien
Verghese Kurien was renowned social entrepreneur. He was best known as the “Father of the White Revolution”.
Operation Flood: His ‘billion-litre idea’-Operation Flood which was the world’s largest agricultural development programme, helped to transform India from a milk-deficit country into the world’s largest milk producer.
Milk Co-operatives Movement: He had founded around 30 institutions of excellence (like AMUL, GCMMF, IRMA, NDDB) which are owned, managed by farmers and run by professionals. As the founding chairman of the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), Kurien was responsible for the creation and success of the Amul brand of dairy products.
Milk powder: Under his chairmanship, Amul achieved key invention of milk powder processed from buffalo milk.
Awards conferred to Verghese Kurien for his contribution are
- 1963- Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- 1989- World Food Prize by World Food Prize, USA.
- 1965- Padma Shri.
- 1966- Padma Bhushan.
- 1999- Padma Vibhushan.
It aims to publicize activities related to milk and milk industries and raise public awareness about the importance of milk and milk products for everyone throughout life.
The Bill amends the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946 for the changing the provision related to appointment of Director of CBI.
The Bill amends the provision in relation to the Leader of Opposition (LoP) and states that where there is no LoP, the Leader of the single largest Opposition Party in that House would be part of the committee for appointment of Director of CBI.
In the present Lok Sabha there is no LoP in Lok Sabha, since no party have the numbers to get the post. Now Congress is the largest Opposition party.
- Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946 constitutes a special investigation police force known as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Earlier the Act had provision for a three member committee to make recommendations to the central government for appointment of the Director of CBI.
- This committee comprised of Prime Minister (Chairperson), the Chief Justice of India or a Supreme Court judge nominated by him, and the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha.
Thus this amendment bill, will pave the way for the appointment of a new CBI Director in December as incumbent CBI Director Ranjit Sinha is to retire on 2nd December 2014.