11th ASEM summit begins in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
The eleventh edition of Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 began in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia. The theme of the Summit is ‘20 Years of ASEM: Partnership for the Future through Connectivity‘.
World leaders including from the leaders of 51 member countries and the representatives of European Union and Asian are attending the two day summit.
Indian delegation is led by Vice President Mohmmad Hamid Ansari. India’s agenda for the summit is to push the efforts to boost inter-continental connectivity.
- ASEM2016 is being held in the new world environment following Britain’s exit from the European Union and a global economic slowdown.
- It is also first major multilateral diplomatic gathering after recent ruling by UN-backed international tribunal which has struck down China’s claims in strategic South China Sea.
- ASEM2016 will also take into consideration the issue of terrorism during deliberations after recent terror strike in Bangladesh and some European countries.
About Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM)
- ASEM is an informal process of dialogue and cooperation that brings 53 entities – including 51 countries (including India) from Asia and Europe and two regional bodies European Union (EU) and the ASEAN.
- It was officially established in March 1996 at the first summit in Bangkok, Thailand.
- The dialogue addresses political, economic and cultural issues between the two regions.
- It also seeks to strengthen the relationship between the two regions in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
- ASEM represents around 62.3% of the world’s population, 57.2% of the global GDP and almost 60% of the world’s trade.
Categories: International Current Affairs 2017