Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘Smart City Mission’ involving 83 projects from 20 different cities in the country.
The ambitious mission of Union Government was launched at function held at Pune’s Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex one year after it was announced.
Speaking at the launching function PM Narendra Modi asked people not to think urbanization as a problem but an opportunity.
He also stated that cities can fight poverty and it is necessary to strengthen their capacity to fight the poverty.
- The Smart City Mission’ projects launched included 14 projects of Pune (Maharashtra) and 69 projects from 20 different shortlisted cities in the country to be implemented at a cost of 1,770 crore rupees.
- These projects are related to water supply projects, sewage treatment plants, solid waste management under Swachh Bharat Mission and development of green and open spaces under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT).
- It also includes housing projects for urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) and area development and technology based pan-city solutions under Smart Cities Mission.
- PM Modi also inaugurated ‘Make Your City SMART’ contest, aimed at involving citizens’ participation in designing smart cities.
- ‘Smart Net Portal’ was also inaugurated by PM Modi. The portal enables the cities under different urban missions to share solutions and ideas for various issues during the implementation of various missions.