4 PSUs to set up integrated coal gasification cum fertilizer plant in Talcher, Odisha
4 Public sector undertakings (PSU’s) have signed Joint Ventures Agreements (JVA’s) to set up an Integrated Coal Gasification cum Fertilizer and Ammonium Nitrate plant at Talcher, Odisha.
4 PSU’s are: GAIL India Limited, Coal India Limited (CIL), Rashtriya Chemicals (RCF) and Fertilizers Corporation of India Limited (FCIL).
Key facts of Joint Ventures Agreements
- GAIL Coal Gas (India) led by GAIL will set up the Upstream Coal Gasification and Gas Purification section for production of Ammonia Syn Gas for downstream fertilizer unit. It will invest around Rs 3000 crore.
- Talcher Chemicals & Fertilizers led by RCF will set up Ammonia-Urea, Nitric Acid-Ammonium Nitrate plants. It will initiated with an estimated investment of Rs 6000 crore with majority stake held by RCF & CIL.
- The overall project comprises of 3850 MTPD Urea plant, 2700 MTPD Ammonia plant, 850 MTPD Nitric Acid plant and 1000 MTPD Ammonium Nitrate plant.
- The entire project will help to produce per day: 3,850 tonne of urea, 2,700 tonne of ammonia, 850 tonne of nitric acid and 1,000 tonne of ammonium nitrate .
- Execution of construction activities of these projects are likely to start in year 2015-16 and expected to complete by the year 2019.
Implications of Talcher plant
- It has strategic importance for India, as it aims to make an alternative source path of feedstock coal for fertilizer industry from domestic sources rather than imported coal.
- It will help to trigger a great economic boom in Odisha and eastern part of India, as it will generate direct and indirect employment opportunities for the people.
Categories: Business & Economy Current Affairs 2017
Tags: CIL • Coal India Limited (CIL) • Economy • Fertilizers Corporation of India Limited (FCIL) • GAIL India Limited • Joint Ventures Agreements- GAIL • Odisha • Public sector undertakings • Rashtriya Chemicals (RCF) • RCF