Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as CEO of UIDAI
Senior IAS officer Ajay Bhushan Pandey was appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
His appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Ajay Bhushan Pandey is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Maharashtra cadre. Prior to this appointment he was serving as Director General of the UIDAI since August 2015.
About Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- UIDAI is nodal statutory organization behind the Aadhaar, a 12 digit unique number.
- It was founded under the previous United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime in 2009. Former Infosys CEO Nandan Nilekani was its chairman from 2009 to 2014.
- It was granted statutory status by Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
- Aadhaar is linked with an individual’s demographic and biometric information, which serves as an authentication tool throughout India.
- Using Aadhaar, Union and State Governments are trying to link many of their major development and subsidy schemes to reduce leakages and duplication.
Categories: Persons in News 2017