Barack Obama becomes first US President to be Chief Guest at Republic-Day
US President Barack Obama has become the first American President to be Chief Guest on Republic Day celebrations.
He is also the first American President to visit India twice (earlier he had visited India in November 2010).
Key highlights of 66th Republic Day celebrations
- In this Parade, US President witnessed India’s military might and cultural diversity. This year’s parade was more based on cultural diversity rather than showing on military might.
- For the parade, Barack Obama arrived in his own vehicle named cadillac one (The Beast) and not with President Pranab Mukherjee. Thus, breaking the traditional practice, as the Chief Guest usually comes to the venue with the President, the Head of the State.
- Several States displayed tableaux depicting their local flavor and traditions.
- While, some Union government departments displayed tableaux related to government initiatives like Make in India and ‘save the girl child.
- For first time in history, all women contingents of the three services Army, Navy and Air Force marched in the parade.
- Some of India’s latest military arsenal was displayed in this year’s parade. However, Nuclear-capable Agni missiles- a highlight for the past several years was not displayed this year.
Categories: Persons in News 2017