Former Cabinet secretary Ajit Kumar Seth appointed as the Chairman of PESB
Former Cabinet secretary Ajit Kumar Seth has been appointed as the Chairman of the government’s head-hunter, Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) on 14 August 2015.
As per the order issued by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) Ajit Kumar will head PESB by replacing Atul Chaturvedi for period of three years or till he attains 65 years of age.
He is an IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre of 1974-batch, whose extended tenure of four years as the Cabinet secretariat had ended on 13 June 2015.
Two other IAS officers Gauri Kumar and Anshuman Das the former CMD of NALCO, have been appointed as members in PESB.
About Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB):
- It is a high powered body constituted by Government of India in 1987.
- Its objective is to develop sound managerial policy for the Central Public Sector Enterprises and to advise Government on appointments of Chairman, Managing Director or Chairman-cum-Managing Director and Functional Director to CPSEs.
- It advises the Government on matters relating to appointments, confirmation or extension of tenure and termination of services of the appointed personnel.
- It advises the Government on formulation and enforcement of a code of conduct and ethics for managerial personnel in PSEs.
- It advises the Government on evolving suitable training and development programs for management personnel in PSEs.
PESB board consists of a part-time or full-time Chairperson and three full-time Members, they are the distinguished performers in management of public or private corporations or public administration.
The Chairperson/Members of the board hold the office for a term of three years or until the age of 65 years whichever is earlier. They can be reappointment for a second term subject to the age-limit of 65 years.
Categories: Business & Economy Current Affairs 2017