Current Affairs April 2013
PJ Kurien – New Chairman of Asian forum of Parliamentarians
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha, PJ Kurien elected as the Chairman of the prestigious Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD). He replaced Yasuo Fukuda, former Prime Minister of Japan as the Chairman of AFPPD. PJ Kurien is also the Chairman of the Indian Association of Parliamentarians on Population and Development.
Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD)
- To generate cooperation and support among the Asian Parliamentarians in different areas like population and development issues.
- Initiate, promote and support exchange programs among the parliamentarians in Asia and the Pacific.
- Promote other lawful acts which generate cooperation and support among the Asian Parliamentarians.
- General Assembly - highest decision making body of AFPPD
- Executive Committee – provides direction, monitors progress and approves financial and administrative reports.
- Standing Committee - provide direction on specific programs and actions. 3 Standing committees:
- Standing Committee on the Status of Women – advises the AFPPD on parliamentarians’ activities on the status of women, gender equality and equity,
- Standing Committee on Population and Food Security – deals with issues such as food security, water resources, poverty, environment and climate change
- Standing Committee on Male Involvement in EVAW (Elimination of Violence Against Women ) – offers a role in working together via furnishing information and reinforcing male involvement across the network all over other parliaments.
VOR = VHF Omni Directional Range; VHF = Very High Frequency
- Short range radio navigation system
- Utilizes radio frequencies in the VHF band from 108 – 117.95 MHz.
- Standard air navigational system in the world
- Used for both commercial and general aviation
- VOR stations are fairly short range: the signals have a range of about 200 miles.
- Generally VORs are equipped for voice transmission on the VOR frequency. VORs without voice capability are indicated by the letter “W” (without voice – VORW).
- Relies on the ground based transmitters which emitted signals to VOR receiver.
VOR is used to enhance the visibleness at the time of landing and takeoff by the airplanes at the airport. Radio signals transmitted by a network of fixed ground radio signals and receiver unit in a plane receives them and in turn assists the pilot in determining the position of the airplane and thus stays on course.
Uhuru Kenyatta sworn in as Kenya’s fourth Presiden. Uhuru won with 50.07% of the vote, but the win was challenged by outgoing PM Raila Odinga and civil society groups, who complained of myriad anomalies in the voting process, but the Supreme Court upheld Kenyatta’s win.
Uhuru Kenyatta along with his deputy William Ruto are controversial figures as they are facing charges by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over crimes against humanity for their alleged role in Kenya’s 2007 presidential elections.
NPHCE launched during 11th Plan period by The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare keeping in view the recommendations made in the “National Policy on Older Persons” as well as the State’s obligation under the “Maintenance & Welfare of Parents & Senior Citizens Act 2007”.
- To address various health related problems of elderly people.
- To provide separate and specialized comprehensive healthcare to the senior citizens at various level of State healthcare delivery system including outreach services.
Some of the key components of the NPHCE during 11th Five Year Plan were:
Establishment of 30 bedded Department of Geriatric in 8 identified Regional Medical Institutions (Regional Geriatric Centres) in different parts of the country and to provide dedicated health care facilities in District Hospitals, CHCs, PHCs and Sub Centres in 100 identified districts of 21 States.
Future plan for NPHCE:
- Programme being implemented in a phased manner. 100 districts have been selected initally from 21 States in 11th Five Year Plan.
- Proposal to cover more districts under the programme.
- Development of 12 additional Regional Geriatric Centres in selected Medical Colleges of India during the 12th Five Year Plan
- Establishment of National Institute of Aging at AIIMS, New Delhi and Madras Medical College, Chennai.
Continuation of programme activities in the existing 100 districts and 8 Regional Geriatric Centres.
Addition of 4 new Regional Geriatric Centres.
Addition of more districts in a phased manner.