The Himachal Pradesh High Court banned on the sale of potato chips, wafers and all junk food items packaged in plastic and non-biodegradable material from January 26, 2014. It directed the government to strictly enforce the ban on non-essential food items. The ban will not cover plastic drinking water bottles.
The court vacated its stay on a notification issued by the Department of Science, Technology and Environment on June 26, 2013, to impose a ban on sale, storage, entry, supply and manufacture of these items in the state.
As per the court order, the government has to ensure that
- From March 31, milk and milk products, edible oils/fats, fruits, vegetables and meat products will be manufactured, transported, sold, packaged and distributed as per the Food Safety & Standards (Packaging & Labeling) Regulation, 2011.
- No person is permitted to start or continue any food business without obtaining the required license.
- Edible oils/fats are packed in tin containers and not plastic bottles or pouches.
- The appointment of a Food Commissioner in four weeks.
- All the municipal authorities in the state have to manage the plastic waste by undertaking Waste audit from beginning of the year.