The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the enhancement of capacity from 20,000 MW to 40,000 MW of the Scheme for Development of Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects.
The capacity of the solar park scheme was enhanced after considering the demand for additional solar parks from the States.
- The enhanced capacity will ensure setting up of at least 50 solar parks each with a capacity of 500 MW and above in various parts of the country. All the States/UTs are eligible for benefits under the scheme.
- Under this scheme, smaller parks will also be considered in Himalayan and other hilly States where contiguous land may be difficult to acquire in view of the difficult terrain.
- The Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects will be set up by 2019-20 with Union Government’s financial support of 8100 crore rupees.
- These plants after becoming operational will generate total 64 billion units of clean electricity per year. It will lead to abatement of around 55 million tonnes of CO2 per year over its life cycle.
- It will also contribute to long term energy security of the country and promote ecologically sustainable growth by reduction in carbon emissions and carbon footprint.
- It will also generate large direct and indirect employment opportunities in solar and allied industries like heavy industrial equipment, glass, metals etc.
- The solar parks will also provide productive use of abundant uncultivable lands which in turn facilitate development of the surrounding areas.
- Under the scheme, solar parks will be developed in collaboration with States/UTs. The States/UTs are required to select the Solar Power Park Developer (SPPD) for developing and maintaining the solar parks.
- Solar Energy Corporation India (SECI) will administer the scheme under the direction of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). SECI will release the approved grant.
SECI is a not-for-profit company established in 2011 under Section-25 of the Companies Act 1956. It is a facilitation and implementation institution dedicated to Solar Energy sector under the aegis of Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.