After a gap of half a century, Mitsubishi Aircraft has rolled out Japan’s first commercial jet .
Nature of the MRJ
The MRJ has a little less than 100 seats. The jet is valued at $42 million. It marks Japan’s second attempt to enter the commercial aircraft market. The unique aspect of the MRJ is that is consumes one fifth less fuel than an aircraft its size.
Development of the MRJ
The MRJ has been developed by a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries which counts carmaker Toyota Corp as one of its shareholders. The MRJ will now be subject to a multiple flight before the first delivery of the aircraft in June 2017. This target is 3 years later than Mitsubhishi’s original plan.
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to grant financial assistance to the Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project.
The Cabinet has granted its approval for the Rs. 10,773 cr project to build Phase I of the Ahmedabad Metro Rail project.
Phase I of the metro rail
Phase I of the rail project covers a 35.96 km long route along two corridors, namely, the North-South Corridor covering 15.42 km from APMC to Motera Stadium and East-West Corridor covering 20.54 km from Thaltej Gam to Vastral Gam.
Role of the Central Government
While the total project cost is Rs.10,773 cr, the Central government will contribute Rs. 1,990 cr in the form of equity and subordinate debt.
Implementation of the project
The project will be implemented by the Metro-Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad (MEGA) Company Ltd., which will now be converted into a 50:50 jointly owned company of the Central government and state government of of Gujarat.
The Union Cabinet has approved the relaunch of the Direct Benefits Transfer scheme with some modifications.
Some of the salient points pertaining to the new scheme are:-
- Scheme is to launched in 54 districts from November 15, 2014 and in the rest of the country from January 1, 2015
- It will be implemented in mission mode between 10 November and 1 January 2015
- The subsidy amount to be given per domestic subsidized LPG cylinder shall remain fixed
- Future beneficiaries can receive the cash subsidies by linking their Aadhaar number with the LPG connection, and have their bank account as the primary option. Alternatively, they can also directly link their LPG connection with their bank account, and may or may not include Aadhaar as the secondary option. In any scenario, possession of an Aadhaar number will not be a requirement, which is in conformity with a SC verdict which said that Aadhaar card cannot be made mandatory because it has no legal backing
- Persons who have opened accounts under the newly introduced Jan Dhan Yojana can also link their LPG connection to such an account.
- Persons without bank accounts or Aadhaar will also receive subsidized LPG cylinder for some time