Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Awards for the year 2012 were declared by Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan. The awards are awarded by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
BEST OF ALL AWARD
- Large scale manufacturing: Sakthi Masala P. Ltd., Erode, Tamil Nadu
- Large scale service sector: Tata Business Support Services Limited, Hyderabad
- Small scale service sector: Elin Appliances Pvt. Ltd., Solan, Himachal Pradesh
Large Scale Manufacturing Industry
- Chemical: Dalmia Cement (B) Limited, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
- Electrical & Electronic: EOS Power India Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Engineering & Others: Currency Note Press (A unit of security Printing & Minting Corporation of India Ltd.), Nashik, Maharashtra
- Food & Drug: Mehsana Dist Co-Op Milk Producers’ Union Ltd., Dudhsagar Dairy, Mehsana, Gujarat
Large Scale Service Industry
- Health care: Apollo Speciality Hospital Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Others: Engineers India Limited, New Delhi
- Education: Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Finanace: Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA), New Delhi
Small Scale Manufacturing Industry
- Engineering & Others: Suprabha Protective Products Pvt. Ltd, Pune, Maharashtra
Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Awards
Introduced in 1991, the Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award is given by the BIS to Indian manufacturing and service organizations that show excellence in their performance.
The award purposes to encourage quality services to the customers and to provide special appreciation to organizations that contribute considerably towards the quality movement of India.
The award is presented annually as per the financial year, and is similar to other national quality awards worldwide like the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award of the United States, European Quality Award of the European Union and the Deming Prize of Japan.
The award is presented to organizations in 5 broad categories:
- Large scale manufacturing
- Small scale manufacturing
- Large scale service sector
- Small scale service sector
- Best overall
Cash prize of Rs 5,00,000 for BEST OF ALL category, Rs 2,00,000 for each winner in respective category and Rs 1,00,000 for each winner of commendation certificate.
Marine researchers have found a jellyfish lake in Gujarat, which is probably the first such lake in the country.
As per marine biologists, the concentration and density of jellyfish is very high in this lake. A team of researchers led by wildlife scientist BC Choudhury from the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) found the jellyfish habitat during a routine field visit to a small town Armabada in Gujarat.
Biologists found that the bottom of the lake, spanned over 5-6 hectares, was carpeted with a type of jellyfish known as ‘upside down jellyfish’. They are called so because they swim upside down unlike others. Another distinctive characteristic of the lake is that these jellyfish are present all around the year unlike other places where they are seasonal. As per experts, the thriving population of jellyfish in the lake might be linked to low predation.
Though jellyfish are found in various parts of coastal India but they are rarely found in lakes. Eil Malk Island in Palau is world’s renowned jellyfish lake.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has directed that the management of the PM’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) should emulate the Gujarat model in selection of beneficiaries, giving priority to the poor and children.
PM Modi reviewed the working of the PMNRF and recommended several qualitative changes in the way the fund is managed.
PM Modi’s directions to PMNRF:
- Selection of beneficiaries should be done in a more comprehensive, scientific and humanitarian basis, giving priority to children, poor and cases from government hospitals.
- Priority should be accorded to cases involving life-threatening diseases and applications should be decided on need and merit.
- Pendency in appeals for help should be minimized and the draw to select the cases should be conducted in a manner that does not exclude any genuine case.
- A letter from the Prime Minister should be sent to all beneficiaries.
- SMS alert to be sent to beneficiaries whose appeals have been approved for grant of relief.
On his three-day visit to India, the World Bank President Jim Yong Kim arrived in New Delhi. During his visit, he will meet PM Narendra Modi for understanding the development priorities in India. Kim is also scheduled to meet the Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley.
He will also be visiting the World Bank assisted project sites in Tamil Nadu with a view to understand rural-urban transformation challenges.
Former Rajya Sabha member and veteran leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Mr. Om Prakash Kohli was sworn in as Gujarat Governor. Mr. Kohli’s appointment follows the unceremonious exit of former Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal.
Mr. Kohli was the president of the BJP’s Delhi unit. He served as a lecturer at the Delhi University-affiliated Hansraj College and Deshbandhu College.