Prime Minister Narendra Modi has directed that the management of the PM’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) should emulate the Gujarat model in selection of beneficiaries, giving priority to the poor and children.
PM Modi reviewed the working of the PMNRF and recommended several qualitative changes in the way the fund is managed.
PM Modi’s directions to PMNRF:
- Selection of beneficiaries should be done in a more comprehensive, scientific and humanitarian basis, giving priority to children, poor and cases from government hospitals.
- Priority should be accorded to cases involving life-threatening diseases and applications should be decided on need and merit.
- Pendency in appeals for help should be minimized and the draw to select the cases should be conducted in a manner that does not exclude any genuine case.
- A letter from the Prime Minister should be sent to all beneficiaries.
- SMS alert to be sent to beneficiaries whose appeals have been approved for grant of relief.
On his three-day visit to India, the World Bank President Jim Yong Kim arrived in New Delhi. During his visit, he will meet PM Narendra Modi for understanding the development priorities in India. Kim is also scheduled to meet the Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley.
He will also be visiting the World Bank assisted project sites in Tamil Nadu with a view to understand rural-urban transformation challenges.
Former Rajya Sabha member and veteran leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Mr. Om Prakash Kohli was sworn in as Gujarat Governor. Mr. Kohli’s appointment follows the unceremonious exit of former Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal.
Mr. Kohli was the president of the BJP’s Delhi unit. He served as a lecturer at the Delhi University-affiliated Hansraj College and Deshbandhu College.
Given below is the list of Governors and their respective state of appointment:
- Keshari Nath Tripathi: Governor of West Bengal
- Balramji Dass Tandon: Governor of Chhattisgarh
- Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya: Governor of both Nagaland and Tripura
- Ram Naik: Governor of Uttar Pradesh
- Om Prakash Kohli: Governor of Gujarat
The arrival of the new government at Centre has also led to the removal and shuffling of Governors appointed by the previous UPA led government. In continuance of the same, the President of India Pranab Mukherjee has announced three major changes:
- Dr. (Smt.) Kamla Beniwal, Governor of Gujarat has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Mizoram for the remainder of her term in place of Shri Vakkom Purushothaman.
- Shri Vakkom Purushothaman, current Governor of Mizoram has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Nagaland for the remainder of his term. He will continue to hold the additional charge of the office of the Governor of Tripura.
- Smt. Margaret Alva, Governor of Rajasthan will also discharge the functions of the Governor of Gujarat besides her own duties, until regular arrangements for the office of the Governor of Gujarat are made.