The Himachal Pradesh State Tourism Department has launched an Apple Festival to showcase and promote locally produced apples and apple made products among tourist. The Tourism Departments also plans to take the tourists to the apple orchards itself so that they may have a more hands-on experience of the plucking, packaging and marketing processes involved. The department also conducted a competition for farmers growing exotic varieties of apples. Various local hotels and food chains have also set up stalls selling apple based products.
Apart from being an impetus to tourism, the festival is also expected to promote the horticulture industry in the state. The horticulture industry is a major source of revenue for the state, with apple being the most important horticultural crop.
Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Awards for the year 2012 were declared by Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan. The awards are awarded by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
BEST OF ALL AWARD
- Large scale manufacturing: Sakthi Masala P. Ltd., Erode, Tamil Nadu
- Large scale service sector: Tata Business Support Services Limited, Hyderabad
- Small scale service sector: Elin Appliances Pvt. Ltd., Solan, Himachal Pradesh
Large Scale Manufacturing Industry
- Chemical: Dalmia Cement (B) Limited, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
- Electrical & Electronic: EOS Power India Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Engineering & Others: Currency Note Press (A unit of security Printing & Minting Corporation of India Ltd.), Nashik, Maharashtra
- Food & Drug: Mehsana Dist Co-Op Milk Producers’ Union Ltd., Dudhsagar Dairy, Mehsana, Gujarat
Large Scale Service Industry
- Health care: Apollo Speciality Hospital Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Others: Engineers India Limited, New Delhi
- Education: Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Finanace: Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA), New Delhi
Small Scale Manufacturing Industry
- Engineering & Others: Suprabha Protective Products Pvt. Ltd, Pune, Maharashtra
Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Awards
Introduced in 1991, the Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award is given by the BIS to Indian manufacturing and service organizations that show excellence in their performance.
The award purposes to encourage quality services to the customers and to provide special appreciation to organizations that contribute considerably towards the quality movement of India.
The award is presented annually as per the financial year, and is similar to other national quality awards worldwide like the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award of the United States, European Quality Award of the European Union and the Deming Prize of Japan.
The award is presented to organizations in 5 broad categories:
- Large scale manufacturing
- Small scale manufacturing
- Large scale service sector
- Small scale service sector
- Best overall
Cash prize of Rs 5,00,000 for BEST OF ALL category, Rs 2,00,000 for each winner in respective category and Rs 1,00,000 for each winner of commendation certificate.
India’s northern state of Himachal Pradesh has been selected as venue to host Paragliding World Cup 2015. This will be the first para-gliding World Cup to be hosted in India. The tournament will be organized under the auspices of Para-gliding World Cup Association, France.
The tournament will be held in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh from October 25, 2015 and will witness participation of around 150 top ranked pilots of the world besides 500 free flying pilots.
Himachal bagged the opportunity to host the world cup event after successfully hosting the para-gliding pre-World Cup in 2013.