Raghubar Das was sworn-in as 10th Chief Minister of Jharkhand and becoming first non-tribal to hold this post.
Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed administered the oath of office and secrecy to him at oath taking ceremony held at Birsa Munda Football Stadium, Ranchi, Jharkhand.
Along with Raghubar Das, following 4 cabinet ministers were sworn in
- Nilkanth Singh Munda, Chandreswar Prasad Singh, Louis Marandi (all BJP).
- Chandraprakash Choudhary (AJSU party).
Raghubar Das became 10th CM and 6th person as state CM after Babulal Marandi (once), Arjun Munda (thrice), Shibu Soren (thrice), Madhu Koda (once) and Hemant Soren (once) since state was granted statehood status after bifurcating from Bihar on 15 November 2000.
In 2014 Jharkhand State Assembly election, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had emerged victorious by winning 37 out of total 81 seats in state.
BJP along with its ally All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) which has won 5 seats in total has 42 seats, thus formed ruling government in state.
About Raghubar Das
- He was recently elected to state legislative assembly from Jamshedpur (East) constituency.
- He started his career as a labourer in Tata Steel. He did his schooling and college in Jamshedpur and later joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad.
- Political career: He had joined BJP in 1980 and was elected as the state BJP chief twice.
- He is five-time MLA from Jamshedpur East constituency. Earlier he became a minister in the Jharkhand government for the first time in 2000 and since then he has held portfolios of finance, labour and urban development during his stint as cabinet minister.
- He also has served as the Deputy CM in the Shibu Soren government from 2009-10.