Perumanna Grama Panchayat in Kozhikode district of Kerala has become the first Panchayat in the State, to declare its own water policy.
The water policy has been framed in the lines of the State government’s water policy declared in 2008.
- The policy was drafted with the help of the Centre for Water Resources Development and Management (CWRDM) Kunnamangalam.
- It was chalked out after a detailed study of water resources and usage under taken by CWRDM in the Panchayat over the last two years 2013 and 2014).
- The policy notifies a 13-point action plan to ensure proper utilisation and conservation of water in the 18 wards of Panchayat.
- The first of the policy to increase water literacy in the panchayat through extensive water conservation and awareness programmes.
- The policy also seeks to make panchayat garbage free by 2020, thus eliminating water pollution completely. Under the policy, Water conservation committees will be formed at ward level as well as panchayat level.
- These committees will work in tandem with the committees for agriculture, education, basic development, health and industrial development in order to incorporate in its activities in the essence of the water and environment policy of the State government.