As per figures released by the Tourism Ministry, while the state received 23,602 tourists in 2011, it was 26,489 in 2012 and 31,698 in 2013 respectively. Sikkim is followed by Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura respectively.
The arrival of the new government at Centre has also led to the removal and shuffling of Governors appointed by the previous UPA led government. In continuance of the same, the President of India Pranab Mukherjee has announced three major changes:
- Dr. (Smt.) Kamla Beniwal, Governor of Gujarat has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Mizoram for the remainder of her term in place of Shri Vakkom Purushothaman.
- Shri Vakkom Purushothaman, current Governor of Mizoram has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Nagaland for the remainder of his term. He will continue to hold the additional charge of the office of the Governor of Tripura.
- Smt. Margaret Alva, Governor of Rajasthan will also discharge the functions of the Governor of Gujarat besides her own duties, until regular arrangements for the office of the Governor of Gujarat are made.
Itanagar becomes the 2nd state capital amongst the capitals in NE India to be put on Rail Map of India
Itanagar (Capital of Arunachal Pradesh) became the 2nd state capital after the Capital of Assam: Dispur (whose nearest Railway Station is Guwahati, distance: 5-7 km only), amongst the capitals in NE India to be put on Rail Map of India. The first passenger train which started from Dekargaon (Assam) at 7 am and covering a distance of 181 km arrived at Itanagar Railway Station 12:30 pm.
- North Eastern India comprises of Seven Sister States + Sikkim
- Seven Sister States also called “Paradise Unexplored” are Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura