Lt General (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma has sworn-in as the 17th governor of Mizoram.
Justice T Vaiphei, judge of the Gauhati High Court administered him the oath of office as per provisions of Article 159 of Indian Constitution.
Mr. Sharma will succeed West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi who was given additional charge of Mizoram in April 2015.
Prior to this appointment, he was serving as governor of Arunachal Pradesh. He was transferred to Mizoram by President Pranab Mukherjee on May 12, 2015.
About Lt General (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma
- Nirbhay Sharma had served in Indian Army for 40 years before retiring in 2008.
- He is considered as one of the most distinguished and decorated Field Commanders of the Indian Army.
- In 2008, he was appointed as member of UPSC and was in office for 5 years i.e. till 2013.
- In 2013, he was appointed as governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
- He is third retired army officer to be appointed as Governor after Lt Gen (retd) S K Sinha and Gen J.J. Singh.