Russia has imposed economic sanctions against Turkey, a NATO member over the issue of downing of a Russian Sukhoi 24 warplane on the Syrian border.
In this regard, Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree adopting a series of retaliatory economic measures against Turkey with an effect from 1st January 2016.
Russian economic sanctions covers
- Ban on imports from Turkey, work of Turkish companies in Russia and any Turkish nationals working for Russian companies.
- End to charter flights between the countries and urges Russian tour operators to refrain from selling tourist packages to Turkey.
- NATO member Turkey on 24th November 2015 had shot down Russian Sukhoi 24 (Su-24) warplane escalating crisis in bilateral relations of both countries.
- Turkey has claimed that the Russian jet was shot down after it had crossed into its airspace and ignored several warnings to change course.
- However, Russia has furiously denied the claims and demanded an apology and economic compensation from Turkey.