Eminent Islamic scholar Asghar Ali Engineer passed away
Famous Islamic scholar, Asghar Ali Engineer (73) passed away in Suburban Santa Cruz, Mumbai.
Key facts about the life of Asghar Ali Engineer
- Born in 1940, Ashgar was a graduate civil engineering.
- Edited journal named the Islamic Perspective and during 1980s he published a series of books on Islam and communal violence in India.
- Served as the chairman of the Centre for Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS) founded in 1993 after the 1992 Babri Mosque demolition
Awards and Accolades:
- Honored with Distinguished Service Award in 1987 by the USA International Student Assembly and the USA Indian Student Assembly
- Dalmia Award in 1990 for promoting communal harmony
- Honoured with three doctorate degrees
- National Communal Harmony Award in 1997
- USA Award from the Association for Communal Harmony in Asia in 2003
Categories: Persons in News 2017