Founder of Bose Corporation, Amar Bose passed away
Amar Gopal Bose (83), Indian-American founder, Chairman and academic behind the revolutionary sound systems of Bose Corporation, passed away in Wayland, Massachusetts.
About Amar Gopal Bose:
Born on November 2, 1929, in Philadelphia, to an American schoolteacher and Noni Gopal Bose, a freedom fighter and Calcutta University physicist who fled to the U.S. in 1920 after being imprisoned for protesting British rule in India.
- Did his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Founded Bose Corporation which brought sound systems with high-end acoustic features.
- Invented stereo loudspeakers that would reproduce, in a domestic setting, the dominantly reflected sound field that characterizes the listening space of the audience in a concert hall.
- Later psychoacoustics became the hallmark of his company.
- Was an Indian American academic and entrepreneur, an electrical engineer and sound engineer.
- Was a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
What is Psychoacoustics ?
Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception i.e. a branch of science studying the psychological and physiological responses associated with sound (including speech and music).
Tags: Current Affairs 2013