Freedom fighter “Maulana Hasrat Mohani’s postage stamp released by Vice President of India
The Vice President of India, Mr. M. Hamid Ansari released the commemorative postage stamp of Freedom fighter “Maulana Hasrat Mohani” in New Delhi.
About Freedom fighter Maulana Hasrat Mohani
- Born: January 1,1875 in Mohan , United Province, British India.
- Died: May 13,1951 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Pen name: Hasrat Mohani.
- Eminent poet who used to Ghazal poetry – a purely genre of love poetry – for political subjects and gave it a new turn.
- Was a great freedom fighter and never accepted British rule over India.
- Great admirer of Lokmanya Tilak and always used to refer him as Tilak Maharaj, even in his poetry.
- In 1908, he was sentenced to two years rigorous imprisonment by British government for publishing an article in Urdu-e-Mu-alla against British policies in Egypt. He was released in 1910 and re-started Urdu-e-Mu-alla.
- Second person in Indian History who demanded ‘Complete Independence’ (Azadi-e-Kaamil) in 1921 as he presided over an annual session of All India Muslim League. (First person was Swatantryaveer Savarkar, who demanded ‘Complete Independence’ in 1900).
In 1919, Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar and his brother Maulana Shaukat Ali along with some other Muslim leaders viz. Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari, Raees-ul-Muhajireen Barrister Jan Muhammad Junejo, Maulana Hasrat Mohani, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad and Dr. Hakim Ajmal Khan formed an All India Khilafat Committee at Lucknow.
Categories: Persons in News 2017