Haryana Assembly passes bills for mandatory educational criteria for urban local bodies elections
The Haryana Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed two bills to make minimum educational qualification criteria mandatory for the urban local bodies election (ULBs).
These bills are (i) The Haryana Municipal (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (ii) Haryana Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
These bill seeks to amend the amend Section 13 A of the Haryana Municipal Act, 1973 and Section 8 of the Haryana Municipal Corporation Act, 1994 respectively.
Key features of the Haryana Municipal (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- Minimum educational qualification for a candidate contesting ULBs election in the general category would be Class X i.e. matriculation.
- Female candidate from open category and a male candidate from Scheduled Caste (SC) will be required to be at least 8th standard pass.
- Minimum educational qualification for SC women candidates will be 5th standard pass.
- Candidate should not be convicted or have charges framed against him in a criminal case by a court for an offence punishable with imprisonment for not less than 10 years.
- There should be no pending arrears of electricity bills against the candidate contesting the elections to ULBs. Candidates must have a functional toilet at their residence.
These amendment bills were proposed on the lines of Haryana Panchayati Raj (Amendment) Act, 2015 which had prescribed similar mandatory educational qualifications for contesting candidates in Panchayati Raj elections in the state.
Categories: Bills and Acts in Current Affairs 2017