Haryana Government announces Tirtha Darshan Scheme for senior citizens
Haryana Government has announced Tirtha Darshan Scheme under which senior citizens above 60 years of age in the state will be able to go on a pilgrimage within the country at government expense
Announcement in this regard was made by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar while replying to the discussion on the Governor’s address during the budget session of the Haryana Assembly.
- Under the scheme, state government will bear the entire cost of the tour of senior citizens belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) families.
- In case of a couple, the expenses of the spouse belonging to BPL family will also be borne by the statet government. They will also be able to take along an assistant.
- In case of senior citizens of non-BPL families, state government would bear only 70% of the cost. Senior citizens will be selected for the pilgrimage on the basis of lottery system.
- Under the scheme, over 400 destinations can be visited. The maximum number of pilgrims will be only 250 every year. Selection of pilgrims will be made by a district committee headed by the deputy commissioner.
- The tour packages will include journey in sleeper class by chartered train and night accommodation on multi-sharing basis. Besides, travel insurance provision will be mandatory for the pilgrims.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017