Indian-American Frank Islam presented with Martin Luther King Award
Frank Islam, an eminent Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist has been presented with the prestigious Martin Luther King Jr Award.
He was given the award for his contribution to the legacy of the great leader through his efforts in international service and civil engagement.
About Frank Islam
- He was born in Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh to a peasant father. He had moved to US when he was only 15 years old.
- He is an entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist.
- In 1993, he had bought a struggling IT company in Maryland. Later in 2007, he sold it to spent rest of his life in philanthropy, both in India and the US.
- Currently, he heads the FI Invest Group a firm that he established after selling his IT Company.
- He is also board member of several think tanks, academic and cultural organisations including pretigious Kennedy Centre for Performing Arts, the Brookings Institute and US Institute of Peace.
- Books: He has written two well-regarded books on the American condition. They are Working the Pivot Points: To Make America Work Again (2013). Renewing the American Dream: A Citizen’s Guide for Restoring Our Competitive Advantage (2010).
Martin Luther King Jr Award
- It is an annual award started in 1991.
- It honors the legacy of noble peace recipient civil right leader Martin Luther King Jr and the legendary Dorothy I Height and their impacts both at home and abroad.