India’s biggest Defence Expo 2016 begins in Goa
India’s biggest ever land, naval and homeland security exhibition Defence Expo 2016 began in Goa.
The four-day biennial event was inaugurated by the Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. This for the first time, the Expo is being held outside the national capital New Delhi.
- Defence Expo 2016 is the 9th edition of the series of biennial land, naval and internal homeland security systems exhibitions.
- The 2016 theme is “Rise of Futurism” and its vision is to make India prosperous by establishing world class science and technology base in defence sector.
- It also seeks to provide India’s Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions.
- The Expo will see participation of 1,053 companies from 47 countries including major defence production countries like Russia, US, Germany, Italy, Japan and Israel.
- They will display their warfare ware in their stalls to each other and demonstrate the capabilities of their defence equipment.
- It will also see participation of the major public and private sector companies in India including Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- DRDO will display live demo of Airborne Early Warning & Control System (AEWCS), Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, Main Battle Tank (MTB) Arjun, Wheeled Armoured Platform AKASH, Air Defence System, Pinaka Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher, state of art Radars, and other equipment.