Indigenously developed fecal incontinence management system ‘Qora’ launched
The Union Government has launched ‘Qora’, an indigenously developed affordable Faecal Incontinence Management System (FIMS).
It was launched by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Science & Technology Y.S.Chowdary in New Delhi.
The FIMS-Qora was developed under the Union Ministry of Science & Technology’s Department of Biotechnology (DBT) Bio design Programme by M/s. Consure Medical.
What is Fecal incontinence?
- Fecal incontinence (FI) is a medical condition marked by inability to control one’s bowel movements. It causes feces (stool) to leak unexpectedly from the rectum.
- This medical condition worldwide affects nearly 100 million bed ridden patients. Furthermore, about 50% of the psychiatric ward patients due to long-term neurological diseases have FI.
- At present, the only available solutions for this condition are absorbent pads and fecal drainage catheters.
Significance of FIMS-Qora
- This affordable novel technology will help to address the clinical and economic implications of FI by expanding indications for use.
- It will also help in reducing skill level required to use a device, and introducing a new level of care for patients outside the ICU.
Categories: Science and Technology Current Affairs - 2017