Kalyan Singh sworn in as Himachal Pradesh Governor
Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh has sworn in as the 26th Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
He was administered oath of office by Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmed Mir at oath taking ceremony held at Raj Bhawan in Shimla.
He was given an additional charge of Himachal Pradesh after then governor Urmila Singh, completed the full five year term on January 24.
About Kalyan Singh
- Kalyan Singh was born on 5 January 1932 in Aligarh district of Uttar Pradesh.
- He was elected as member of Uttar Pradesh legislative Assembly for six times consecutively from 1967.
- He has served two terms as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. First term from 24 Jun 1991 to 6 Dec 1992. Second term from 21 Sep 1997 to 12 Nov 1999.
- In 1977, he was Health Minister of Uttar Pradesh. He was also Member of Parliament from 2004 to 2014.
- He is 20th Governor of Rajasthan and was appointed on 26 August 2014.
Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state. But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.