Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma passes away
Former Lok Sabha Speaker Purno Agitok Sangma passed away after suffering a heart attack in New Delhi. He was 68.
Sangma was a 9 time member of Lok Sabha and the Speaker in the 11th Lok Sabha from 1996 to 1998. He had played significant role in the development of the North East.
About PA Sangma
- Born as Purno Agitok Sangma on September 1, 1947 in Chapahati village in the West Garo Hills District of Meghalaya.
- For first time he was elected to Lok Sabha in 1977 from Tura (Lok Sabha constituency) and remained a member of the Lok Sabha until 14th Lok Sabha except for the 9th Lok Sabha.
- He had served in the Union government as Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting.
- He also served as Minister of State of Home Affairs, Labour, Commerce and Coal. He served as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya from 1988 to 1990.
- He was one of the founding members of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). In January 2013, he had formed the National People’s Party.
- He had unsuccessfully had contested 13th Presidential election in 2012 against incumbent President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017