Najma Heptulla appointed Manipur Governor
President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former Union Minister Najma Heptulla (76) as Governor of Manipur.
She had served as Union Minority Affairs Minister in the Union Cabinet of NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. But she had resigned in July 2016.
Besides President also appointed
- Banwarilal Purohit as Governor of Assam. He is a three-time former member of Lok Sabha from Nagpur and Managing Editor of Central India’s daily ‘The Hitavada’,
- VP Singh Badnore as Governor of Punjab. He hails from Rajasthan and is associated with Mayo College, Ajmer.
- Jagdish Mukhi as Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. He is Delhi-based BJP leader and former MLA from Delhi.
There appointments will take effect from the dates the incumbents assume their charge.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
- Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state. But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.
- Article 156: Governor is appointed by President and hold office during the pleasure of President. It should be also noted that this article also mentions tenure of Governor. In this regard it says that Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from date he enters upon his office.