Iran is ready to negotiate over the issue of its uranium enrichment programme. It has offered that it can put a 20% on uranium enrichment if it is assured a regular supply of nuclear fuel for its medical reactor that manufactures isotopes to treat cancer.
What is uranium enrichment?
- Naturally occurring Uranium is composed of two main isotopes and 235U. the percentage of 238U is 99.284% and 235U constitutes only about 0.711% of its weight.
- 235U is fissile with thermal neutrons.
- In order to produce nuclear bomb and naval propulsion highly enriched uranium is required.
- Enriched uranium is a type of uranium in which the percent composition of uranium-235 has been increased through the process of isotope separation. Enriched uranium is also called Oralloy.
What is highly enriched uranium?
- Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU) has a greater than 20% concentration of 235U or 233U.
- The fissile uranium in nuclear weapons usually contains 85% or more of 235U known as weapon(s)-grade.
- The very first uranium bomb, Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima in 1945, used 64 kilograms of 80% enriched uranium.