The technology giant, Google launched indoor maps in India that would help users to access detailed floor plans indoor venues in India. Indoor maps enable users to view and navigate floor plans of several commercial locations viz. airports, shopping malls, large retail stores, transit stations, and more within Google Maps.
Indoor Google Maps in India
- The service will be available free to Android and iOS users.
- Users will find it easy to locate stores, especially in an unfamiliar shopping mall or when they plan a visit to a museum viz. Salar jung in Hyderabad.
- The maps will carry detailed floor plans and will automatically appear when we are using the Google Maps app on iOS and Android, and are zoomed in on a building for which the indoor map data is available.
- Till now, details of 75 popular locations of 23 cities are added in it.
- Locations:Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Vadodara, Bhopal, Coimbatore, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Jaipur, Kochi, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Moradabad, etc.
- Apart from shopping centres, the floor plans are also available for locations viz. museums (National Gallery Of Modern Art, Delhi and Salar jung, Hyderabad) as well as convention centers (HyderabadInternationalConvention Center), among others.
- This service is already available in countries viz. the U.S., Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Netherlands.
Note: Google had also partnered with the Archaeological Survey of India to bring 360 degree views of Indian monuments on Google Maps.
Indian-American attorney, Mr. Vince Chhabria (44) will become California’s first federal judge of South Asian descent. At present, Mr. Chhabria serves as the Deputy City Attorney at the San Francisco City Attorney’s Office. He has represented San Francisco in defense of its health insurance law, adoption rights of same-sex couples and other major cases, has won Senate confirmation for a federal judgeship.
- Appointed by: United States President Barack Obama.
- Succeeded: Susan Illston.
The Punjab Cabinet approved the Backward Class (BC) status for the Jat and Jat Sikhs of the State. Now, Jats and Jat Sikhs are the 69th and 70th community to be included in the category.
As per the Punjab Cabinet decision
- Quota benefit will also be extended to economically weaker persons from the general category.
- These reservations would be in addition to the quota already in place and would not affect the existing quota sections.
- A commission will be set up to work out modalities for the implementation of the Cabinet decision.
- The grant of BC status to the Jats and Jat Sikhs will enable them to get reservation in government jobs.
Note: Recently, the Union Cabinet decided to extend OBC status to Jats of Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Uttarakhand and Delhi. Though, Jats and Jat Sikhs of Punjab had been left out of the Union Cabinet’s decision because the Punjab government had failed to bring the community in the State BC list.