National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has partnered with about 30 Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) to jointly tackle and mitigate man-made or natural disasters or emergencies.
In this regard, a coordination meeting was held between NDRF and prominent PSUs like ONGC, Air India, GAIL and others involved in the mining and shipping and heavy industries sector.
The maiden meeting was attended by over 40 senior officials from these PSUs for enhancing each other others capabilities for disasters or emergencies.
- The first of its kind initiative aimed to ensure efforts for building a good synergy between the government organisations.
- It will also ensure that two sides can act as one strong unit in case of any king emergency or disasters in case of small or mid-level exigencies.
- NDRF has proposed to train personnel of these PSUs by extending its skill modules like on tackling nuclear, biological and chemical disasters.
About National Disaster Response Force
- NDRF is India’s elite disaster mitigation combat force established under The Disaster Management Act, 2005.
- Established: 2006.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Function: To undertake relief and rescue operations in the case of an event of any disaster (natural or man-made), accident or emergency.
- Functions under the aegis of Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The force is assisted by 11 battalions positioned in various states of the country. Of the 11 battalions, 3 are of BSF and CRPF each, 2 are of CISF, ITBP each and one of Sashastra Seema Bal.
- Incumbent Director-General of NDRF is Om Prakash Singh.