The Bihar government recognized recognise kinnar/kothi/hijra/transgender (eunuch) as “third gender”.
The cabinet acknowledged declaring them as backward class annexure II category which will offer them quota advantage for availing or getting government jobs. The Transgenders from upper castes will be considered as OBC annexure II and get reservation advantages, however transgenders from Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes will continue in the same castes.
Earlier in 2014, the Supreme Court delivered a judgment recognizing transgenders as third gender and called for the Union Government to consider transgender as socially and economically backward. The Supreme Court in its judgment held that the transgenders should be permitted admission to educational institutions and given work on the footing that they fit in the third gender category and they should be regarded as as OBCs.
Senior IAS officer Subhash Chandra Garg, a 1983-batch IAS officer of Rajasthan cadre, was selected as the ED (Executive Director) of the World Bank. The order released by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) held that Subhash Garg will have tenure of 3 years from the date of assuming charge of the post.
An ED of the World Bank is accountable for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank. They also carry out all the powers authorized to them by the Boards of Governors and choose a President who performs as Chairman of the Boards.
EDs are also accountable for IBRD’s (International Bank for Reconstruction and Development) loans, guarantees and policies that effect the World Bank’s general operations amid others.
The Union Ministry of Science & Technology also announced KIRAN (Knowledge, Involvement, Research, Advancement through Nurturing) for women scientists – A unique advertising scheme to bring about, as far as possible, gender equality in the field of science and technology.
- To increase the number of women researchers in India.
- Provide Research grants particularly to those female researchers and technologists who had to take a break in career owing to household reasons.
- Bring about, as far as achievable, gender parity in the field of science and technology.
The scholarships will be provided under three categories-
- For those women linked in research work in basic or applied sciences with any central or state level organization or university
- For those women scientists involved in research and application of innovative solutions for several social problems
- For those researchers who are self-employed.
Under the scheme, the Union Ministry of Science & Technology will build leadership positions for women. Such a scheme would be beneficial for women who face unavoidable interruptions in their careers owing to numerous reasons.