PM Narendra Modi, Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurate Petrapole Integrated Check Post
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurated the Petrapole Integrated Check Post (ICP).
It was inaugurated by both leaders through video-conferencing. Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee also had participated in the video-conference.
- Petrapole ICP is located in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Bangladesh.
- Its commissioning will foster greater economic integration and connectivity between India and Bangladesh.
- It is second ICP on India-Bangladesh border after Agartala ICP located at Agartala (India)-Akhaura (Bangladesh) land border.
- Petrapole ICP is the biggest land port in South Asia and the largest land customs station in Asia.
- Trade worth more than 15000 crore rupees takes place through the Petrapole ICP. This trade is more than all the other Indian Land Ports and Land Customs Stations put together.
- The Petrapole ICP will provide better facilities for efficient and effective discharge of functions such as security, customs, immigration, quarantine, etc.
- It will also provide support facilities for smooth cross-border movement of persons, goods and transport.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017