President launches IMPRINT India initiative of IITs and IISC
President Pranab Mukherjee launched Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India to boost research in the country.
The initiative is joint venture of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISC).
- IMPRINT India initiative seeks to develop a roadmap for research in order to solve major engineering and technology challenges in 10 identified technology domains.
- These 10 domains are: Health Care, Computer Science and ICT, Advance Materials, Water Resources and River systems, Sustainable Urban Design, Defence, Nano-technology Hardware, Environmental Science and Climate Change and Energy Security.
- These domains are distributed among IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bomaby, IIT Rookree, IIT Madras and IISC, Bengaluru.
- Objectives of this initiative: (i) identify areas of immediate relevance that requires innovation in the society. (ii) Direct scientific research in the identified areas.
- (iii) Ensure support and higher funding for research for identified areas (iv) Measure the outcomes of innovation and research efforts and its impact on the standard of living in the urban and rural areas.
Categories: Science and Technology Current Affairs - 2017