Rodrigo Duterte wins 2016 Philippines Presidential Election
Anti-crime candidate and mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte has won the 2016 presidential election of the Philippines by a landslide victory. He will become the 16th President-elect of Philippines.
In the Presidential election held on 9 May 2016, Rodrigo Duterte secured 39% (15.36 million) of the votes. He was followed by Mar Roxas 23% (9.27 million) votes and his closest rival Grace Poe with 22% (8.6 million) votes.
About Rodrigo Duterte
- Born on March 28, 1945 in Maasin, Leyte into a political family with a modest background.
- He is lawyer by profession and later entered into the politics. He became vice-mayor of Davao in 1986 and mayor in 1988.
- He is among the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines and has been mayor of Davao City for seven terms, totalling more than 22 years.
- Previously, he had also held a seat in Philippines congress representing Davao City.
- During his stint as a mayor of Davao, he had played important role in reducing crime rates in the Davao City.
- It has earned him the nickname The Punisher, among the locals due to his successful zero tolerance policies against criminals.
- During the Presidential elections, he was nicknamed as Dirty Harry and often was compared to the US presidential candidate Donald Trump.
Categories: Persons in News 2017