Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei won the 2017 All England Championship Title of Badminton in the men’s singles event. In the final match he defeated China’s Shi Yuqi by 21-12, 21-10 score. It was his overall fourth title in men’s singles event and had earlier won in 2010, 2011 and 2014.
Other category winners are
- Women’s Single: Tai Tzu-ying (China) won the title by defeating Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand) by 21-16, 22-20 score.
- Men’s Double: Indonesia’s Marcus Gideon and Kevin Sukamuljo won the title by defeating China’s Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen by 21-19, 21-14 score.
- Women’s Double: South Korea’s Chang Ye Na and Lee So Hee won the title by defeating Denmark’s Kamilla Rytter Juhl and Christinna Pedersen by 21-18, 21-13 score.
- Mixed Double: China’s Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong won the title by defeating Malaysia’s Peng Soon Chan and Liu Ying Goh by 18-21, 21-19, 21-14 score.
About All England Open Badminton Championships
- It is one of the oldest as well as the prestigious badminton tournaments of the world. The first tournament was held in 1898 in Guildford, since then it is played annually.
- Initially the championship was started in only three categories- Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles. But later in 1900 individual Men’s Singles and Women’s Singles titles were added.
- Indian badminton legends Prakash Padukone (in 1980) and P Gopichand (in 2001) have won this prestigious title in Men’s Singles category.