India and Israel jointly developed most advanced long range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) Barak-8 was successfully test fired off the Odisha coast.
The missile was test fired from a mobile launcher at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur in Balasore district in Odisha.
About Barak-8 missile
- Barak-8 (Lightning 8 in Hebrew) is long-range nuclear capable missile, developed jointly by Israel and India.
- It has been designed and developed by DRDO, Israel Aerospace Industries and Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure.
- It is 4.5-meter long and weighs around 3 tonnes can carry a payload of 70 kilograms. It has a speed of Mach 2.
- It has the capacity to identify and neutralize various forms of aerial threats such as rockets, UAVs, planes, helicopters in a single flight.
- Barak-8 missile’s most technologically advanced aspect is its ability to intercept missiles aimed at sea-bound vessels.