The Haryana government has set up an online system called sex ratio monitoring dashboard as part of the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ Scheme to monitor the sex ratio in the Panipat district.
The system will have the data of child sex ratio collected from all villages every month in the district by the state Health and Women and Child Welfare Departments.
- The sex ratio monitoring dashboard as a pilot project has been developed in association with National Informatics Centre.
- It will have the data on critical villages where more attention was required towards skewed child sex ratio. It will help to take steps needed to tackle the social problem of low child sex ratio.
- The dashboard seeks to serve as an effective tool for enhancing ground-level coordination between the state’s Health and Women and Child Welfare Departments for enhancing ground-evel coordination.
Haryana has skewed sex ratio in the state and it is one of the lowest Child Sex Ratio in country which stands at 879 girls per 1,000 boys as against the national child sex ratio of 918 girls per 1000 boys.
About Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Scheme
- The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January 2015 from Haryana for 100 districts across the country to address the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
- It is designed to address the issue of declining CSR and related issues of disempowerment of women through a life cycle continuum.
- The main objective is to prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with stringent punishment to violators.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.