India’s first green police station was inaugurated on the occasion of World Environment Day at Maurice Nagar in north Delhi.
It was inaugurated by Delhi Police Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi. The police station has various provisions for preservation and safety of the environment.
Students of Delhi University along with police officials had worked on the renovation of this police station to make it unique.
Key features of green police station
- Roof of station has coating of fresh lime based upon Medieval Indian Construction Methodology. It will increase Albedo of the station and reduce the heat which helps to save electrical power.
- All light fittings at the police station have been changed to LED lights in order to reduce consumption of electricity.
- All fans installed at this police station will be of five star ratings. It also planned to use solar panels to light the police station.
- The toilets installed in this station are biodegradable and are capable of converting fecal matter into water and biogas through technique of anaerobic bacterial decomposition.
- It is also planned to replace the furniture with bamboo and cane which are believed to be environment friendly as they do not require cutting of trees.
- 400 areca palm plants have been planted in the police station and its premises in order to bring down the carbon presence, as these plants are strong in carbon consumption.
- Recycled paper for filing public’s complaint will be used in bid to promote the use of recycled paper.