The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
In this regard Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
- The e-KYC seeks to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
- Customer through their Aadhaar number and biometrics will online authorise UIDAI to provide demographic details.
- The details will include name, address, date of birth and gender, along with the digitally-signed photograph, to the mobile operator.
- The e-KYC seeks to bring down the cost of subscriber acquisition significantly as telecom companies will not have to spend on physical transportation of forms, verification, scanning and storage.
- Besides it will be an instant, secure and green mobile subscriber verification project, where a customer’s Aadhar card and fingerprints are adequate for both validating and activating prepaid and postpaid connections.