CCEA approves Rs 3,000 crore scheme for fisheries sector
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for implementation of an umbrella scheme for integrated development and management of fisheries.
It is Central Sector Scheme on Blue Revolution that will be implemented at an outlay of 3,000 crore rupees for a period of five years in all the states including North East States and Union Territories.
- The scheme will cover will cover multi-dimensional activities for development and management of inland fisheries, aquaculture and marine fisheries.
- All activities under ambit of it would be undertaken by the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) towards realizing Blue Revolution.
- The scheme aims at development and management of fisheries and aquaculture sector to ensure a sustained annual growth rate of 6 to 8 percent.
- It focuses mainly on increasing productivity and production from aquaculture and fisheries resources both inland and marine keeping in view the overall sustainability, bio-security and environmental concerns.
- Components of Scheme: (a) National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) and its activities (b) Development of Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture. (c) Development of Marine Fisheries, Post-Harvest Operations and Infrastructure. (d) Strengthening of database and Geographical Information System (GIS) of the Sector. (e) Institutional Arrangement for Sector (f) Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) and other need-based Interventions.
- It provides for suitable convergence and linkages with the Sagarmala Project of the Ministry of Shipping, Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY), MGNAREGA, National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) etc.
- Encourage increasing entrepreneurship development, private investment, Public Private Partnership (PPP) and better leveraging of institutional finance for Fisheries Sector.