The Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) is planning to document stories and legends relating to villages and towns across India into an encyclopedia.
This initiative is aimed at to connect people better with the oral and folk traditions. It would be among the key initiatives to be under taken by ICHR.
Other initiatives to be undertaken includes study of the princely States of modern India, studies to fill the gaps between the Harappan civilisation (first Indian urbanisation) and the 6th century BC (second urbanisation).
About the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)
- ICHR is an autonomous body of the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It was established by an Administrative Order of the then Union Ministry of Education and Social Welfare.
- It is based in New Delhi with regional centers in Bengaluru (Karnataka) and Gowahati (Assam).
- ICHR disburses funds for carrying out research to Indian as well as foreign scholars on their applications for fellowships, grants, and symposia made to ICHR or through HRD Ministry.
- It has provided financial assistance to the historians and direction to the research scholars in their multifarious topics of historical research.