Kerala Government has launched Kochi Water Metro project, the first ever Water Metro project in the country. It was launched by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan at Kochi.
The project aims to provide water connectivity to people living between islands in the Kochi agglomeration area and the city.
- Kochi Water Metro project is an integrated water transport project developed as feeder service to the Kochi Metro Rail. It will become operational in two years.
- The project will implemented by the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL). It will be built at an estimated cost of seven hundred and forty seven crores Rupees.
- The project is funded by German Development Bank (Kfw). In this regard KMRL has signed agreement with Kfw.
- The Water Metro will connect the islands spread across Kochi backwaters to main city.
- The project involves construction of jetties, roads and other basic facilities apart from boat services. It would make the urban water transport network in the city modern and safer.