Union Home Ministry has decided to form new reserve battalion will be raised and it will be named after Maharana Pratap. It will be called Maharana India Reserve Battalion.
It was announced by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on the occasion of 475th birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap in Gogunda in Udaipur district. He also unveiled statue of Maharana Pratap in the ceremony.
About Maharana Pratap
- He was born in 1540 at Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rajasthan. He was the eldest son of Maharani Jaiwanta Bai and Udai Singh II, founder of Udaipur.
- He belonged to the Sisodia clan of Rajputs. His reign spanned for 24 years from March 1572 to January 1597.
- He was known as a brave warrior, successful organizer and ingenious strategist.
- He had fearlessly fought the Mughals and protected his people until his death for the honour of their motherland.
- He died of injuries sustained in a hunting accident at Chavand, which served as his capital, on 29 January 1597, aged fifty-seven.