American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero was elected as the new chair of the International Olympic Committee (IOC’s) Athletes’ Commission.
She was appointed by IOC President Thomas Bach during joint meeting between IOC executive board and IOC athletes’ commission. She will be replace Claudia Bokel.
About Angela Ruggiero
- She is a former US ice hockey player. She has played more for the US ice hockey team than any other woman or male player.
- Prior to this appointment she was serving as Vice-Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
- In her ice hockey career, she has played in 10 Women’s World Championships and won four Gold medals and six Silver.
- She had retired US’s national hockey team in December 2011. She has authored her autobiography about her ice hockey experiences called Breaking the Ice.
- She was inducted as member of the Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2015. She is only the fourth woman and second American woman ice hockey player to be honoured with it.
About IOC Athletes’ Commission
- The IOC Athletes’ Commission is a nodal body for the purpose of representing athletes in the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- It was established in 1981.
- Its primary function is to serve as the link between active athletes and the IOC.