Renowned telecom engineer and inventor Sam Pitroda has been appointed as Technology Advisor to the Odisha Government.
He has been appointed as the technology adviser for development of telecom, electronics, Information Technology, IT Enabled Services sectors of the state. With this appointment he will get the rank of a Cabinet Minister.
He will play key role in formulation Vision 2036 for [email protected], a vision document for 2036 to celebrate the 100 years of state’s formation.
About Sam Pitroda
- Born as Satyanarayan Gangaram Pitroda on 4 May 1942 in Titilagarh district of Odisha. By profession he is a telecom engineer, inventor, entrepreneur and policymaker.
- He is the founding Chairman of India’s Telecom Commission (ITC) and famously known as father of Indian telecommunication revolution.
- He had served as Advisor with rank of a cabinet minister to the Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on Technology Missions related to literacy, immunization, telecom, water and dairy.
- He had also served as chairman of the National Knowledge Commission (2005–2009), a high-level advisory body to give policy recommendations to Prime Minister for improving knowledge related institutions and infrastructure in the country.
- He had also founded the National Innovation Council (2010) and also served as an advisor to the United Nations.
- Autobiography: Dreaming Big: My Journey to Connect India.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Bhushan (2009), World Telecommunication and Information Society Award (2011) etc.