Senior BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy has been honoured with Tamil Ratna award by America Tamil Sangam (ATS) in New York.
He was bestowed with this award for fighting corruption and working for more transparency in the functioning of the government.
About Subramanian Swamy
- Subramanian Swamy is politician and economist who is presently serving as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- As an economist, he had served as a member of the erstwhile Planning Commission. He was a Cabinet Minister in the Chandra Shekhar government from 1990 to 1991.
- In 1978, he had served member of the Group of Eminent persons which had prepared a report of UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) on Economic Co-operation between Developing countries (ECDC).
- In 1994, former Prime Minister P. V. Narasimha Rao had appointed him as Chairman of the Commission on Labour Standards and International Trade.
- He was the President and founder of the Janata Party until it was merged on with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Some of the previous recipients of Tamil Ratna Award include, music composer AR Rahman, Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman, Tamil movie director Bharathi Raja and mathematician Srinivasa Varadhan.