The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved setting up of a National Resource Facility for Bio-medical Research (NARF) at Genome Valley in Hyderabad, Telangana.
NARF will be set up by the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) and the proposal in this regard was forwarded by the Department of Health Research of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- NARF will be the first of its kind institution for quality laboratory animals for basic and applied biomedical research in the country.
- It will be a world-class facility for breeding and housing of animals for testing of various R&D products.
- It will breed and house animals such as primates, cabines and other specialized models such as knockout and transgenic rodents.
- The facility will develop, create and provide access to a range of laboratory animals along with related technological resources for advancement of biomedical research in the country.
- It will mainly facilitate research and development in medical colleges, universities, research and academic institutions and Biotech and Bio-pharma companies.
- It will also provide training facilities for personnel in specialized areas in the field of biomedical research.
The estimated project cost of NARF is 338.58 crores rupees and it will be functional by year 2018-19. Telangana state Government has allotted 102.69 acres of land for this project free of cost.