Union Cabinet approves India’s Membership of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for India’s membership of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP) consortium.
In this regard, Union Government has signed a MoU with the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for geosciences.
The MoU will enable India
- To get engaged with internationally renowned experts with profound expertise in different aspects of scientific drilling.
- These experts will accomplish India in deep drilling and associated investigations in Koyna region.
Benefits to India
- India will get a seat on two ICDP panels viz. Executive Committee (EC) and Assembly of Governors (AOG).
- ICDP will also provide operational/ technical support, facilitate capacity building in terms of data management, manpower training in key scientific areas and support workshops for the Koyna scientific deep drilling project undertaken by the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- As a member of ICDP, Indian scientists/engineers will have right to submit proposals, to participate in all ICDP drilling projects and co-funded workshops.
- They will also have access to all data results from ICDP projects. This will shed new light on the genesis of seismicity, thus help in better understanding of earthquake processes.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017