Union Cabinet gives nod to MLAT in Criminal Matters between India and Maldives
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) between India and Maldives in case of Criminal Matters.
Decision in this regard was taken at Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
Key facts of Treaty
- Aims to enhance effectiveness of both signatory countries in investigation and prosecution of crime. Seeks to enhance cooperation and mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
- Provide a broad legal framework for bilateral cooperation in the context of transnational crime and its linkages to terrorism. The bilateral cooperation will mainly focus on investigation and prosecution of crime.
- It will also focus on tracing, confiscation of proceeds, restraint and instruments of crime as well as monetary funds meant to finance terrorist acts.
What is MLAT?
- MLAT is an agreement signed between two or more countries for the purpose of exchanging and gathering information to enforce criminal laws or public laws.
- Under the MLAT a mechanisms has been developed among countries for obtaining an evidence to solve the criminal investigations and further use it for prosecutions.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017